Sunday, April 26, 2009

Such A Mess

Rough wake-up this morning. Last night's after party did us in. Early Saturday morning, we headed to an artsy little cafe for breakfast, where I had the greasiest meal I've probably ever had in my life. We had started out a bit late, so we missed most of the films by the other contestants. We decided to check out a mix of experimental, comedy, documentary and drama. While we weren't very impressed by the majority of films, there was one that tickled us, with pun intended. If I can get the video, I'll be sure to post it. Puns will then be understood. Honito wants his hand back.


After being a couple of fat cows and lying out on the grass for an hour, we headed to the big event. I have to say -- Jack Nicolson has a very distinguishable voice, and I've seen many of his films, but nothing could prepare me for this smokin' ace. We were pretty sure he was high when he suddenly blustered "California legalized marijuana....biggest cash crop," going on about how much money can be made off selling weed. Mind you, there was no previous question dealing with anything on the subject of marijuana. I'm assuming he was high as a kite, and we loved it.
We stopped at a classy restaurant after the conference and had some of the most delicious burgers and fries -- Rhode Island seems to have fantastic food, I've been noticing.
We then got dressed in the car like a pair of hobos and immediately began to consume some liquid courage as soon as we made it to the awards banquet. Jess was nervous, so by proxy, I was fighting back waves of anxiety. We made a few failed contacts with some other students at a table, but overall had a great time. While Jess unfortunately did not receive an award, I was very proud of her and we agreed the experience, the road trip itself, was what had counted from the beginning anyhow.
And then back to where we started - the after party. I need say nothing more than the fact that we were both HTMs and had a blast at the same time. While our host, who was apparently too busy being covered in paint (and being a pussy faggot, as I drunkenly exclaimed in front of the bar last night) to let us crash at his place, Charlotte once again was kind enough to let us stay on the couches for the night.
Like so many of our other trips, this one was worth the money spent (I feel that I'll soon be negotiating with PNC) and the time taken off from school, work and other responsibilities. Like Hawksley sings, "You can make a lot of money, but you'll never make time." I could've been sitting at home this weekend, reading and finishing my projects for class and working at my commons desk job for a decent pay -- but experiences like this are best experienced now, at a young age. I have plenty of time to work later in life, and then who knows when I'll find the time to pull myself away and get out and about? My philosophy is: Make money later, use the time you have now before it's gone completely.

No comments:

Post a Comment